Brrrr....it seems Winter hit Melbourne early this year, with only a few days of summer like weather during summer, a colder than usual autumn, its seems like winter is already here for us.
With every passing year, I remember that winter gets longer and just last year it felt like we had winter for six months of the year!! This year, winter seems to start even earlier, which could only mean that we will be having a long, wet and cold winter ahead of us! We never get snow here in the city, but this year maybe we might just be in luck because I feel that autumn is already colder than usual, so winter might just bring us a little snow into the city...hehe just a little though!!!
Winter is gonna be long, and no doubt you will catch the colds and flus a few times. But if you take extra effort to look after yourself this winter, and prepare and nourish your bodies well with good food, exercise and rests, winter won't feel as long and you can still do the things you love, rather then lying sick in the bed with a cough that lasts for way too long!!
If you are one of those people who are prone to getting sick in winter, I highly recommend you take the flu shot. I usually take mine every year or so, but this year I'm going try to prepare myself and fight against colds the natural way : )
Here are a few tips I have gathered and have been trying to follows:
- Drink lots of water, at least 6-8 glasses a day. This is an obvious one but one that is hard to keep up with during the colder months.Water hydrates your body and flush out all the bad stuff. Start the morning with a glass of freshly boiled water, of course wait for the water to cool down a little hehe.
- Cut back on sugary drinks and coffee, and switch to tea, preferably green and herbal tea with no added sugar or milk. If you like to have a coffee or soft drink with your lunch or after dinner, try switching to tea, which does wonders to boost your immune system and keeping you warm! There are loads of health benefits to drinking tea and I'm sure you have all heard of them many times! Try having at least one cup after lunch and dinner.
- Eat lots of fresh vegies and fruit....everyday!! I don't have to go into the details of how important it is to give our body fresh vegies and fruit which will give us the nutrients needed to sustain a healthy body and mind. I know it can be hard to fit eating healthy into your everyday busy life, but your body will thank you for the extra effort you put in!! There are plenty of ways to make eating fruit and vegies exciting!!! Why not make an extra large pot of my super healthy veg soup from my previous posts, and pack that for lunch the next few days!!! You can save money while giving your body the needed boost over winter.
- Exercise...Exercise...Exercise: I think the importance of this one speaks for itself. Try to be active at least 3 to 4 times a week, and add variety to your exercise regime so you won't lose motivation. Have an exercise buddy so you both can push each other on, it makes exercising fun!! Running, jogging, power walking, weights, cardio, yoga, pilates, boxing, swimming, bikes, exercise ball...make up a routine for your exercise buddy and let them make one for you!!!
- Boost your immune system by increasing your vitamin C intake. I'm not an advocate of taking supplements, but I do find Vitamin C tablets, if anything boosts your overall immune system and shortens your colds and flus, should you happen to catch one over the winter. Try to get your vitamin C naturally first through eating oranges and kiwi's which are my favourite ways to get vitamin C. If you can't, get yourself a natural Vitamin C tablet and you'll be fighting off the colds like never before! hehe
- Go outdoors, even just for a short walk, or shopping with friends or walking to your local grocery. Its important to get some fresh air throughout your day, and not sit in front of the heater all day. Enjoy some sunlight (if any) and embrace the fresh crispy air with the early morning fog and late evening!! Its also a very good opportunity to catch up on some me time and clear your mind from your days worries : )
- And last but not least...spend time with the people you love, make them and yourself laugh and feel happy! Your mental health is as important as your physical health! So go ahead and be happy!!!!SMILE and LAUGH like you just heard the funniest thing ever!!!!! hehe
Fat Pom Pom