In today's post I have something very exciting for you guys..... another Jamie Oliver’s 30 minute meal recipe special!! Ta da!!! hehe I recently bought the book and let me tell you it was an awesome book!!!! I’m very excited and can’t wait to try every recipe out hehe
Jamie Oliver is one of my favourite chefs and I love his style of cooking, simple and so flavoursome : ) (i think I've mentioned this already in my previous posts : P)
So here is his Pork Chops with Sage, Crispy Crackling, and Crushed Potatoes! It was a really fun dish to make and was super delicious!!!!
For the Pork Chops:
4 x 180g good quality chops, skin on
8 cloves of garlic
1 tsp of fennel seeds
A small bunch of fresh sage, washed and picked
Runny honey, for drizzling
1 small red apple, cut into quarters and cored (optional)
For the Potatoes:
700g of small potatoes, I used the small white ones from coles (can’t remember what they are called)
1 heap tsp wholegrain mustard
A small bunch of fresh leaf parsley
- To start cut the skin and some of the fat off the pork chop, and face them skin side down on a hot frying pan (high heat) to start the crackling process. Turn the crackling over and take them off the pan once cracking is done. This is Jamie’s way to making crackling as instructed in his book, my crackling came out chewy rather than crispy, maybe i didn’t follow his instructions correctly : ( I will follow my mums advice next time and season the skin with salt and put them straight in the oven to crisp up. I also add the apples into the roasting tray at the beggining with the crackling to allow enough time for the apples to caramelised.
- Score the fat on the chops and season both sides with good pinch of salt and pepper
- Lightly squash 8 unpeeled cloves of garlic with the heel of your hand and add to frying pan, fry for a few minutes and move to side of pan. Stand all 4 chops up in the pan with fat side down.
- Scatter fennel seeds into a roasting try with the garlic and crackling (or if you are making crackling in the oven, add fennel and garlic to the same tray).
- Once the chops are golden on the fat side, use a tong and lay them flat on the pan. Cook for about 4 minutes until both sides are golden.
- Add the chops to the roasting tray along with the sage, and mix together. Drizzle some honey onto the chops. Make sure each chops is coated well with honey, sage and fennel seeds. Arrange the crackling onto of the chops and return tray to oven and roast for another 10 minutes until the chops and everything else looks golden and delicious.
- For the potatoes, wash the potatoes and cut off any ‘gnarly’ bits hehe. Cut any large ones in half and quickly stab any whole ones. Put them all into a large microwaveable bowl. Add ½ lemon and good pinch of salt and pepper and cover with double layer of glad wrap/cling film. Microwave on full power for about 17 minutes, or until cooked through. Once cooked, remove the lemon, add 1 heaped teaspoon of mustard seeds, good amount of olive oil and season well with salt and pepper. Finely chop the parsley and add to bowl. Using a large spoon, break and crush the potatoes, mixing all the flavours together.
- Serve the potatoes and chops straight from the roasting tray at your dinner table!!!!
I hope you guys enjoy this recipe : ) I will hopefully posts more of Jamie's recipes soon, once I have tried to make them that is!!
In the mean time, keep warm!
Fat Pom Pom