I have been really into watching Jamie's 30 minute meals these days. I am a really big fan of Jamie Oliver's cooking as they are really simple to make yet full of flavours!!!
This is my variation of the pork sausage ragu which he makes for his wife when she was pregnant (Jool's pregnant pasta dish).
4 spring onions, finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, grated
1 stick celery, grated
1-2 fresh red chillies, finely chopped
1 x 6 pack good quality sausages (approx. 500g) (I used Coles Angus Beef sausages with garlic and removed the sausage meat from the skin, in Jamie's original recipe, he used pork sausages and added 1 heaped teaspoon of fennel seeds)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
4 cloves of garlic, crushed
4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp of olive oil
Grated Parmesan and chilli flakes to serve
a few sprigs basil
- In a large frying pan on high heat, add olive oil, onion, spring onion, carrots, celery and chilli, sausages and oregano. Cook for about 10 minutes until meat is brown. Remember to keep breaking down the sausage meat as you are cooking.
- Meanwhile, cook the Penne pasta in boiling water with a bit of salt until cooked to your liking.
- Add crush garlics and balsamic vinegar to the sausages and cooked until balsamic vinegar reduces and thickens.
- Add can tomatoes to sausages and season with salt and pepper if need. Simmer for another 10 minutes until pasta is cooked. Add cooked pasta to sauce and about 1/2 cup of the starchy water from cooking the pasta to help the sauce and pasta stick together better.
- Garnish with basil, grated parmesan cheese and chilli flakes if desire.
We made 3 times the quantity for a family gathering and it was absolutely delicious : ) !!!
Il be posting up the desserts we made that night in my next post so remember to keep following me k!!
Fat Pom Pom