Vanilla slices have always been a favourite in my family. Every time I make this deliciously smooth custard filled pastry dessert, my family would gather around the Vanilla slice all ready with a fork in their hands (we don't even bother to cut them into small slices anymore...just to save on washing the extra dishes hehe)
Within minutes, the slices are finish and everyone sits back and takes a sip of their warm cup of tea! Theres no better way to finish up the day then that :)
My recipe for Vanilla Slice
1 and 1/2 cups of vanilla custard powder
1 cup of raw sugar
3 cups of milk
2 and 1/4 cups of thick cream
2 sheets of puff pastry
Icing sugar to dust
- Lightly grease 2 oven baking trays and place the 2 sheets of puff pastry with 2 extra trays on top of the pastry to keep them from rising whilst cooking in a preheated oven at 180 degrees C for about 20-25 minutes until golden. Once golden, remove and leave to cool.
- In the meantime, in a large bowl, put the custard powder, sugar and 1 cup of milk and mix with a spoon until there are no lumps.
- Pour this mixture into a large saucepan on low to medium heat. Add the remaining milk and cream into the saucepan and stir consistently with a whisk until the mixture has thicken. It would take about 20 minutes.
- Once thicken leave the custard to cool for about 1 hour in the saucepan.
- To arrange the slices, in a 30cm square plastic container, place the 1st sheet of puff pastry at the bottom of the tin, cut off any excess pastry if necessary.
- Pour the custard into the container and then place the 2nd puff pastry on top. Refrigerate for a few hours to allow custard to fully set before serving. Dust with icing sugar to serve.
I wish I had a better picture of the vanilla slice I made as the one I took does not look that appetizing hehe but believe me it tasted delicious regardless of how it looked!
I hope you have enjoyed my blog so far. My next post will be an exciting one so please keep following :)
Fat Pom Pom