I have always been a big fan of Korean cuisine, they are always packed with punches of flavours!! Spicy, sweet, sour, saltiness, they are always a nice balance of flavours. My family always looks forward to dinner when I cook korean dishes, and seeing their satisfied faces leaving the dinner table, I know I have done a good job ; )
These two dishes below are my favourite korean dishes and I always order them when dining out in a Korean restaurants. My recipes are as follows:
Ingredients: (serves 4)
1 packet of Korean sweet potato noodles (350g)
1 medium onion, slice into 8-10 wedges
3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 carrot, chopped into 5mm match sticks
4 green/spring onions, cut into 5cm peices
10 shitake mushrooms, soaked for 2 hours in warm water and then slice thinly
150g thinly slice beef fillet
100g of spinach, soak in boiling water for 1 minute, drain and season with 1 tsp of soysauce and sesame oil
Sesame oil, sugar, soysauce for seasoning
Sesame seeds for garnish (optional)
- Boil the noodles in boiling water in a big pot for about 5 minutes. When the noodles are soft, drain them and put in a large bowl.
- Use scissors to cut the noodles (as they are quite long) and add 2 tbs of soy sauce and 2 tbs of sesame oil. Mix it up and set aside.
- Heat a small frying pan, add a few drops of olive oil and your carrot strips and saute for a few minutes. Remove from pan and add to the bowl of noodles.
- Repeat the same with onion and spring onions.
- Add a few drops of olive oil to the pan and add your beef strips and your sliced shitake mushrooms and garlic. Stir it until it’s cooked well, then add 2 tbsp soy sauce and 1-2 tbsp sugar. Stir for another 30 seconds and then add to your bowl.
- Add 3 tbsp of soy sauce, 2-3 tbsp of sugar, 2 tbsp of sesame oil to the bowl and mix all ingredients together. Taste and add more soy sauce or sugar according to your taste.
- Sprinkle toasted sesame seeds on the top to finish.
200g of soft or silken tofu, cut into smaller peices
1 small can of spam 200g, cut into smaller peices
5 green/spring onion, cut into 5cm peices
4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
2 tbsp of hot pepper paste (see picture)
1tsp of chilli flakes/powder
3 cups of boiling water
- Heat a medium size pot, add 1tbsp of sesame oil. Add the garlic, kimchi and spam and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add water, hot pepper paste and chilli flakes. Simmer for 10-15 minutes for the flavour to develop. You can leave to simmer for longer for a more intense flavour!
- Then add tofu and spring onions and simmer for another 5 minutes. Before serving, garnish with more spring onions and 1tsp of sesame oil.
- Serve with rice
Hope you guys enjoy the recipes!!! Let me know how yours turned out :)
Fat Pom Pom